52 Ancestors in 52 weeks : Valentine: week 7

SAINT VALENTINE’S Day
I don’t think anyone in my family had ever heard of this day.
I do recall that while I was still on our honeymoon my husband  Wayne asked me what was going on with the florist decorations and what was Valentine’s Day that they all seemed to be advertising, my answer to him was that the florists and greeting card people in Australia had recently jumped on the idea and promoted it as a way to make extra money in the quite time before Mother’s Day. He asked me if I wanted him to send me flowers for that day, I reminded him of my stance about flowers purchased from florist shops, as I was one of the florists who had to promote extra sales for special occasions, and I didn’t want any money spent on flowers. So my husband has never purchased flowers 💐 for me in the 46 years we have been married.

He has purchased plants but never cut flowers.

We both have an agreement that neither of us want purchased flowers on our coffins when we need one! I had said that if he can find a few kangaroo paw I would love them and we have a number growing in our garden, so we both just need to make sure we don’t go during their non flowering time of the year.
Valentines Day to us is just another imported money making day for newsagents, florists and gift shops. I even saw an advertisement for Aldi who want to sell everyone a bunch of 50 roses, every one wants to get in on the act!

This may just be the opening lines as I will be consciously looking for a true Valentine family story to put in here.

But perhaps our story should be here as we are already someones ancestors!

2 thoughts on “52 Ancestors in 52 weeks : Valentine: week 7

• I certainly didn’t begrudge any one else sending flowers and cards as it was what I was being paid for, and to sell them a bigger bunch than they originally wanted. And i had to compose most of the mushy card sentiments!